Poros Island is the ideal destination for family vacation, romantic escapes and countless sorties in nature. It's located beside Peloponnisos east coast, just 200 meters away. That offers visitors the opportunity to visit and see the beauties across the coast as well, as it takes no more than 15 minutes to get there. There is a serious touristic development without any residential surfeit nor crowds, a main factor for a gentle way of life. Everything rolls slower, comparing to more famous destinations, prices are lower and nature helps the body and the mind to get self-cured. There are a lot of beaches, organized or not, popular or less known, suitable for every taste. Poros' natural terrain offers many options and the low traffic makes transportation a safe and easy case. One of the island's bribes is the food's high level, which makes it the perfect destination for foodies. Beside that, if you are lucky, you may meet a celebrity, that has chosen to enjoy Greece's sun and sea away from publicity lights. The holidays in Poros will be amazing so book your ferry tickets now and live unique moments on the magnificent island of Poros.
Port of Poros
Poros' Port is in the island's capital city and is coastally connected to Piraeus and Galatas. You can book your ferry tickets online via aktoploika.gr for a journey more comfortable and carefree. Traveling from Piraeus by ferry lasts about 2 hours and 1 hour, if you choose a flying dolphin, as from Galatas only 15 minutes.
Next to the port is Poros City, amphitheatrically built on Sfairia volcanic hill, a stark, dry land with an extraordinary beauty.
Connection With Other Islands
There a lot of visitors from the neighboring islands during summer, so more routes are added from and to the ports of Hydra, Spetses and Aegina. There are also sea-taxis, that offer daily cruises to close destinations in Peloponnisos' east coast.
Poros has a ferry connection with the following ports: Piraeus, Aegina, Spetses, Hydra, Ermioni, Methana, Porto Heli
You can now book ferry tickets online for Poros via Aktoploika.gr. If you plan to travel during July and August, it's best if you have booked several days or weeks earlier to avoid hitches. You should also know that round-trip/return ferry tickets come with a considerable discount.
Moving in Poros is very easy and consistent to the island's and the passengers' needs. The bus station is at the Port and there are many routes that connect the city of Poros with all the island's settlements. Tickets are very cheap and you can buy them at the bus station or inside the bus. More routes are added during summer, but remember to check out the time-table, as they are not that much frequent. You can also rent a vehicle, but our suggestion is bicycle, as there is no such traffic and riding is safe.
Poros: where senses meet pleasure
Poros' ancient name was Kalavria. It is important to mention, that Poros is two islands in fact, Kalavria and the volcanic Sfairia, separated by a small canal after Nafstathmos (Battleships Deck). The island's trademark is Roloi (a clock tower in the city like Big Ben in London but smaller), located on the top of Sfairia Hill. The city has been proclaimed a traditional settlement, having 69 preservable buildings. The Archaeological Museum in Korizi Square has many of findings from Poseidon's Temple and around. You can also visit Hatzopouleios Library, where you can see the "Shells and Sea" continual exhibition.
Beaches are countless, as many as the island's coast-nooks. The most popular are Plaz or Kanali Beach, right beside the canal that separates the island, ideal for families, the cosmopolitan Askeli Beach, which is the biggest one, with sand and lots of facilities, 2 kilometers away from the city, and Neoreio Beach, the second biggest, magnificent and well organized. There is also Love Bay Beach, a romantic, picturesque bay surrounded by pine-trees and colored with the sea's turquoise and blue water. Lastly, the Russian Navy Station Beach with it's ruins is a place worth to be mentioned. Poros' landscape is a sight itself, as the whole island is painting colored by nature. The place is full of pine-trees and filled by the lacy coasts and Saronikos' Gulf blue water.
Taverns and restaurants serve masterpieces, able to satisfy every wish or demand. Fishes are fresh, there is a huge variety of dishes, inspired by several Greek places, and fresh air will surely boost your appetite. "Amygdalota", Saronikos' Gulf trademark-sweet is also popular here, as well as "karydato".
- All taverns and restaurants offer great services, but you must definitely enjoy a meal in "Aspros Gatos" (White Cat) at Neohoreio Beach, a place over 100 years old. Sea-dishes are absolutely fabulous and they'll surely be a subject to talk about for a long time in the future. Try vinegar octopus, fried squids, marinade anchovy, fried shrimps with cheese and the famous "pittakia" (small pies) with seafood.
- Enjoy a sunset in Poros' Port and watch the "Sleeping Beauty" across. The name has to do with Peloponnisos' mountains on the East, that create an illusion that reminds a lying woman's figure.
- Join Dagklis Pastry Shop and buy some "amygdalota", to take them with you.
- Browse to Poseidon Ancient Temple on the north side, via a magnificent course in the middle of nature's grace.
- Devote some of your time, to visit Zoodohos Pigi Monastery, built on the 18th century, located in Askeli village, a magnificent building with a distinct 17th century wooden altarpiece and the famous healing water spring at the entrance.
- If you don't have any, buy a diving mask and a pair of flippers and discover the seabed. You'll face amazing pictures, comparable to exotic destinations.
- If you take a ferry or a boat to Galatas Town, you'll be able to visit the famous "Lemonodasos" (Lemon-trees forest) with its 30000 lemon-trees and the beautiful waterfall on the top of the hill. If you get there, you should continue your tour for a few kilometers and see "Diavologefyro" (The devil's bridge) crossing an imposing canyon with crystal flowing water and plane-trees.
Happy Holidays at the beautiful Poros!!!